Monday, March 9, 2009

Ridley seeks legislative approval

At a time Gov. Rell is trying to eliminate the Board of Governors for Higher Education and merge the Department of Higher Education with the Department of Education, I find it interesting that she would nominate people to the board.

I guess she has to keep the board operational as the legislature deliberates.

Among this year's nominees is Frank W. Ridley, of Meriden. He currently serves as the board's chairman and his term expires this year.

Before winning another term on the board, Ridley must go through the legislative process. His public hearing will be tomorrow at noon.

2 comments:

Stephen T. Zerio said...

I'm sorry I couldn't make the hearing, but I would have spoken in favor of Frank's reappointment. He's been deemed worthy enough by the Board to be named its chairman, and I think his efforts should continue.

That said, if the Governor's recommendation is accepted and this Board is disbanded, why wouldn't she appoint current members to the State Board of Education? They've proved themselves capable. I would think they would be better members than the recent appointee, from the WWE.

Amanda Falcone said...

I think that some of those higher education board members would probably be appointed to the state BOE board, but not all of them. There would have to be some picking and choosing, because the board would not double in size. And I'm in agreement with you about the WWE board member. That was just an interesting pick...