Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Petit to talk about death penalty

It's a busy day at the Legislative Office Building today, but I'm focusing on just one room. The Judiciary Committee began at 10 a.m. It's now about 3 p.m., and they are still going strong.

I think I should have pitched a tent.

Today, the Judiciary Committee is holding a public hearing. Most people are here to talk about the raise the age and death penalty bills. I'm more interested in the death penalty bills. One would abolish the death penalty; the other would mean stricter standards in capital cases.

Dr. William Petit Jr. and his sister, Johanna Petit-Chapman, are here, and I'm waiting for them to speak. It's my understanding that they have never spoken about how they feel about the death penalty, and it should be interesting to hear what they have to say.

If you remember, Petit's wife and daughters were murdered in a Cheshire home invasion in 2007. I was actually the reporter covering the story for the Record-Journal that day, and I remember the scene well. It was pouring rain, police were working with the SWAT team, neighbors watched from outside as three bodies were removed from the house... Dr. Petit, who was injured during the invasion, was the lone survivor.

It is a day I will probably never forget, and as a reporter, it is the type of story that I hope I never have to cover again.

Anyway, it looks like Connecticut is debating the death penalty again. It is a conversation that the Nutmeg State seems to have every so often, and I know it makes me think hard about my views on the issue.

I will keep those views to myself. As a reporter, I do not feel it appropriate to share my opinion on the matter. I am, however, curious to hear whether you support the death penalty. Should it be repealed? Should the death penalty be tweaked to include stricter standards? Let me know your opinions, and I'll keep you posted on what Dr. Petit and his sister have to say.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly believe in the death penalty under certain circumstances. Let the bleeding hearts who are against it have thier mother/wife/daughter be murdered like the Petite family and then see what they think.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely believe in the death penalty,especially in the Petit case. Those guys took his beautiful family from him. They should have have executed them already.They don't deserve a trial.The taxpayers shouldn't have to be paying to house and feed them. Get rid of them ASAP.

Anonymous said...

I believe in the death penalty. Mr.Kain the justice and law administraton professor at Western Conn. State University seems to think it sends a violent message. He also seems to think the families and friends of victims need to learn how to deal with their emotional responses and reactions. How do they ever learn to deal with it????? He should walk a mile in Dr.Petit's shoes and then he can give us a lesson on how they should deal with it!
He has NO CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!