Monday, January 26, 2009

Capitol locked down for drill

When I was in school, we had fire drills, but never intruder drills. Today, I'm participating in my first intruder drill.

"This is the state Capitol Police, your attention please," an officer is reciting. "This is a drill. I repeat, this is a drill."

As I type people are banging on the Capitol press office door, and an alarm is sounding. The Capitol is locked down right now, and the police want everyone in a safe and concealed area with the doors locked.

Good thing I wasn't roaming the Capitol in search of politicians this morning.

I am, however, wondering how long this drill will last. With the alarm sounding, it is kind of hard to make any phone calls. I don't want to misquote anyone because I can't hear them properly.

While I wait out the drill, I think I'll make a nice cup of hot chocolate and write a little more of a story for tomorrow's paper. At least with intruder drills, you are required to stay inside rather than go out into the cold!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://blogs.courant.com/bob_englehart/

Check out the cartoon, where is the RJ"S??

Again, the RJ protects the Gaff.. at least reputable papers are doing the right thing, reporting the TRUTH